Sunday, March 7, 2010

Re-photo sharing

If I can manage to pull my wool socks out of this interminable pile, we will take our annual ski trip to SnowBowl in Flagstaff tomorrow, me and my boys. Our gear is spread across the living room floor, and I imagine the flakes flying, peaks rising up in the distance, colors emblazoning the white winter slopes - in short, a picture perfect experience.
Problem is, I don't want to bring my camera. An early 7MP digital, it's huge by today's standards, and the thought of being any more encumbered while trying to remember how to ski again gives me pause. I have a great set of photos from our last trip...what if I just change the date on those?
Blasphemy?!
I know, this is one of those weird mental leaps dark-futurist types warn about: substituting our real life for a proxy, like having a robot write papers (or blogs) for you, or photoshoping your self-portraits. So can one set of ski photos be the stand-in for all the times we skied, and I send out a message saying, "Had a great time at the mountain this week, here are some shots of us there last year"?
The practise of re-gifting is well-known, its convenience in a busily encumbered world an accepted norm. Can re-sharing of our packaged, codified online experiences be far off?

No comments:

Post a Comment