Friday, March 26, 2010

A critical eye

How does the expansive range of ideas and techniques, in every discipline, affect our ability to teach?

In my experience in teaching video, there was more than one instance where student's found ways to do things that differed from the way I was teaching them. I had to be able to evaluate these viewpoints for the students, and often admit that these were better than what I had been using. Though humbling and somewhat discouraging at first, it's helped me let go of my attachment to being right, and ultimately know more and become better.

This, to me, is at the heart of the change in education that technology is affecting. This constant influx of differing opinion and techniques also increases the value of critical thinking skills, as one must be vigilant in their willingness to look deeply at a wider and wider range of ideas, and that's a very good thing.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. The more "sides" to a topic you here, the better you can make a decision on what's best.

    ReplyDelete